Here’s the scenario: Bill has been an employee with your company for over three years. Yesterday, he failed to show up for work and did not call in to explain why. After contacting one of his family members, you were shocked to learn that Bill had been arrested. What should you do? As you will see, acting on impulse is not the best solution.
1. Don’t act without getting good legal advice.
2. Don’t talk to uninvolved third parties, such as the media or non-management employees
3. Understand contractual obligations if the employee is covered by an employment agreement or a union contract.
4. Gauge the offense and potential impact on your company, as well as your workforce.
5. Ensure the employee is treated fairly.