Occasional problems with traffic or family issues sometimes cause employees to be late for work. But what do you do when the “occasional” isn’t occasional anymore – it’s rather chronic and habitual?
- Develop and implement a consistent series of oral and written warnings for all employees.
- Document each infraction and what you did regarding the unacceptable behavior.
- Follow-up to see if the behavior improves
- Follow your policies and procedures even if it results in terminating the employee. But make sure you have a documented history of warnings and consequences to diminish likelihood of discriminatory claims and/or actions,
- Above all else, treat all employees in the same manner.